Thursday, March 15, 2012

23rd Inning Streeeeeetch...

So it turns out I'm in the middle of a video game hibernation, which is good since it seems like I spend most of my time in a writing hibernation, which is not good considering where I am in the book.
But first allow me to clarify, video game hibernation is when I'm not in any particular mode to play any video games, which is surprising since Street Fighter X Tekken was just released and I'm convinced that without ever even playing it's going to be one of the greatest fighting games ever made, but even knowing that, I'm still not incredibly compelled to play, really I just want to write.

Which is good, it's very good, because at this point in time I'm coming up on the final stretch of my first ever full length writing project. Somehow, by some random act of sporadic time jumping I've ended up on Chapter 23, yeah 23, and what's odd is I don't even remember writing most of them, well that's a lie I remember writing each and every one but I didn't realize how far I'd come, the last update I posted on the blog about my progress stated I was on Chapter 19. So it turns out part of the reason I didn't publish any new post in February is because I was busy tearing it up on the book writing front, and you thought I was just sitting around slacking off, hmph! I think you owe me an apology... I'll wait

Anyway I'm 23 Chapters in, with 8 maybe 9 chapters to go. Feels good to be so close, but like a marathon runner, it's all about how you finish, so my main objective with this last portion of the book is to move cautiously and make sure I tie up every loose end. You know,  dot every "T" and cross every "I" and make sure nothing sneaks away from me during the excitement of the conclusion.

I'm still shopping a large portion of the book around to test readers, roughly the first 12 chapters, so far most of the feedback had been great, but sometimes I'm getting no feedback at all. Its times like those that I have to assume that the text simply didn't do enough to hold the readers attention or enough to capture their imagination with enough vigor to encourage them to either keep reading or at least let me know what they thought about what they did read. Perhaps they wanted to spare my feelings, and decided that since they didn't have anything nice to say they'd just keep quiet. Either way, I have to face the realization that even once the writing is complete it's going to take a few additional rounds of revisions before I'm actually done. But still, a completion of the actual writing is a milestone I'm looking forward to crossing.

Almost there.

til next time,

Lefty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers