Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Zombies, Ninjas, Monsters and More...

I love to write, but even more so I love to read. I can't help myself, its like an addiction. It consumes me! I read mostly fiction, science fiction, young adult fiction, superhero fiction (don't know if that's really a defined genre) fantasy fiction, the list goes on, but then occasionally I'll throw in some nonfiction, maybe a biography, or an autobiography of some interesting character from history, the occasionally philosophy or psychology text, and oh yeah I read a lot about writing too, though good writing books are often hard to come across, but I digress.
Since we are following my novel writing progress I felt it was imperative for me to also give the occasional update on what I'm reading as well.

During my last trip to the bookstore (I won't say which because I actually hate their freaking guts!) I picked up three interesting looking novels that I can't wait to sink my teeth into (te-he-he, you'll see why that's funny in a minute)

The first book I picked up was: My Life as A White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland. This book is about a young girl named Angel Crawford. She's a high school dropout,with drug and alcohol problems and has a rather lengthy police record. But when she's made into a zombie after a car crash, her addictions disappear, except for one new one of course.

I'm a big zombie fan, they are problem my favorite type of fictional monster, over even vampires, werewolves, aliens and human hating robots, so that simple obsession mixed with the incredible artwork that graced the cover of this book, it was a bit of a no brainer (no pun intended, I've actually hit my corny pun limit for this post) *note: the cover art was done by Dan Dos Santos.

My second choice was Blood Ninja by Nick Lake its about a recently orphaned boy who is taken in by a clan of ninjas who all happen to be vampires, and when you think about the many similarities between ninjas and vampires it kinda makes perfect sense. (in a "I live in a fantasy world where both ninjas and vampires exist" kind of way) 
There's actually already a sequel to this book, Blood Ninja II: The Revenge of Lord Oda, but since I had being eyeing this for so long I decided to go ahead and get it, and why not? Ninjas and Vampires, I mean come on., what's not to like.

My last selection was The Monstrumologist, by Rick Yancey. Its about a twelve year old boy who is the assistant to a scientist who studies, and sometimes hunts monsters in late-1800's New England. #score

This is another book that I had being eyeing for some time and decided to just go ahead and go for it, and I'm glad I did, I've already started reading it, and its a hardcore page turner.

Anyway, that what I'm reading right now I'll come back and tell you guys how they turn out, minus any spoilers of course.

Till next time.

Sincerely yours,

Lefty

4 comments:

  1. I think I want to read the first one...sounds like a good book to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Monique,
    I know the artwork alone was worth the price of the book, so everything inside it I consider extra incentive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What bookstore did you get them from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. *grumbles* Barnes&Noble in Cool Springs... but only because my favorite bookstore went bankrupt T_T

    ReplyDelete

Followers